There are numerous reasons for this disorder, but there is always a solution.
It can be due to some severe medical sickness or it can be due to the fact that you are skipping essential meals throughout the day
Also, if you are not consuming enough calories, you might not be able to gain weight.
That is why you will have to learn the symptoms in order to realize why you don’t have the ability to gain weight. Once you do that, you will need to change some lifestyle choices or treat the illness that attacked your body.
If you somehow experience a huge amount of weight loss, we advise you that you seek medical attention immediately.
The most common reason for not gaining weight, or excessively losing weight, is because the person is not ingesting enough calories. This happens if you skip meals that are vital and usually, that happens because of the busy schedule that we lead everything.
However, it is important to separate some time of the day and focus on healthy foods that will improve your health or help you gain weight.
One more typical reason is being physically active without ingesting the important nutrients and calories that you spend. It is smart to take control of the daily intake and daily spending of calories in order to find out if you are doing it right or not.
Medical condition that can prevent weight gain
The metabolism of your body works depending on the hormones that are secreted by the thyroid gland. The metabolism is working faster when there is an excess of thyroxin, which leads to a faster calorie burn.
The symptoms of the condition are anxiety, nervousness, irregular heartbeat, tremors in fingers and hands, increased bowel movement and menstrual cycle changes at women. Also, there is a sign of an increased appetite but even though you will eat more, you won’t gain much weight.
If you believe that you are having this condition, we advise you to visit your doctor immediately.
There are two types of diabetes:
- Type 1 – it is caused by an insulin deficiency and it usually happens at an early
- Type 2 – typically, this type occurs in the adulthood and it is caused by the resistance of body cells to insulin.
The hormone insulin controls the glucose that is present in your system. Therefore, the weight can be affected as soon as the glucose becomes the new source of fuel of the body. Because of this, weight loss can be inflicted in both types of diabetes.
The main symptom is hunger, but some people experience signs such as fatigue, thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision and loss of appetite. If you believe that some of these symptoms are active, seek medical attention immediately.
- Gastrointestinal Issues
This condition inflicts abnormal absorption of the nutrients that you invest in your body. This means that even though you eat a lot, you won’t gain any weight. This kind of a disorder is known as malabsorption syndrome. Other common types of this disorders are IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), celiac disease, Ulcers and Crohn’s disease.
Usual symptoms of this disorders are weight loss, problems with bowel movements, gas formation, fatigue or pain in the stomach. If you have any of these symptoms, contact your physician right away.
- Other Reasons
There are numerous other reasons that can hide behind your weight loss and the inability to gain weight. There are some medications that can increase your metabolism which results in burning calories faster. Some treatments, such as chemotherapy, may result in decreased appetite which leads to weight loss.
Other causes such as infections, cancer or neurological problems might inflict weight loss or problems with gaining weight.
If you suffer from mental disorders such as stress, depression or anxiety, you must contact your physician. These disorders might ruin your eating routine which leads to weight loss.
Healthy tips that will help you gain weight
It is for the best to start giving up fast foods and processed foods. You need to focus on healthy diets that will control your nutrient ingestion. Even though you can gain weight with junk foods, you know that isn’t what your body needs.
Even though you will feel full, your body won’t appreciate what you have consumed, which could lead to a serious disease.
Things like that are quite important and we will explain what to consider when you are determined to gain weight.
- Improve calories ingestion with healthy foods – you can find a diet that works best for you, or you can simply include healthy foods such as vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, eggs, almonds, avocados, cheese and many others.
- Consume nutrient dense foods – as we said, avoid processed and junk foods that won’t give you healthy calories. Focus on meats that have proteins in order to build better muscularity. You can also focus on nutrient-dense carbohydrates such as the brown rice and whole grains.
- Consume snacks, especially in between meals – you need snacks that have a high amount of proteins and healthy carbohydrates. You need snacks such as protein bars or drinks, peanut butter with crackers or a trail mix.
- Have small meals – if you suffer from some mental disorder such as stress or depression, you might have a lack of appetite. Therefore, you need to start a routine where you can eat several mini-meals per day. They can substitute the larger meals but you will still get enough nutrients to get through the day.
- Control the number of calories that you spend and consume – you need to invest much more calories than what you are spending.
- Commit to strength training – start doing some intense exercises where you will burn fat and lose weight. However, this will lead to weight gain because as soon as you are finished with the training, you will be looking for a large meal. This will lead to weight gain.
One last thing – make sure that you continue exercising even after you have gained several pounds. It is essential to turn the fat into muscles because you might find yourself struggling with some health issue.