Causes and Therapies for Itchy Skin without a Rash
There are a lot of causes and reasons for itching skin and this terrible skin irritation can obtain a large area that will need treatment.
Sometimes, the itch will be active for a short amount of time, but there are cases where the condition gets worse.
Even though you won’t see a rash, you will still need to treat it. We will provide several home therapies and medical procedures that can help you with this condition.
Before that, we will explain the reasons that cause the itching of the skin without the rash.
- Allergy – there are many substances, such as wool, metal or chemicals that can inflame your skin, making it itchy. You need to make an allergy test in order to discover the source of the itch.
- Drugs and Medications – there are a lot of medications that can react negatively to your body. Some of them can cause rashes or itching without the rashes.
- Kidney Failure – when this condition occurs, the kidney of the person is harmed. Usually, it is caused by abnormal blood pressure or diabetes. When this happens, your kidneys won’t work properly and your system will create acidosis (your blood becomes acidic.) Therefore, kidney failure can be the main cause of itch without a rash.
- Cholestasis during pregnancy – this is a liver disease and it is common to attack the patient in the last steps of the pregnancy. It occurs when there is a bile flow from the gallbladder to the kidneys and it is altered by the hormones that are created during the pregnancy. Furthermore, this condition will react and cause an overabundance of bile acid in the liver which continues into the bloodstream. Because of this, the person who suffers from it will feel an itching sensation on some part of the body, but without a rash.
- Lymphoma – A kind of cancer that is born in the lymphatic system. Some people either have a non-Hodgkin lymphoma and some have Hodgkin lymphoma. This condition can cause itches without the rash.
- Dry Skin (xerosis) – this is the most common reason behind this issue. It is not that serious, but it can cause discomfort and itching.
- Scabies – this condition is caused by mites where the skin is attacked and infection is born. The infection usually results in irritation and itchy skin. This condition is the most active at night and it can be transferred from a person to person. Usually, it is transferred through towels, beddings, and
How to treat or prevent itchy skin without rashes
- Choose a healthy diet
You need to start consuming the right nutrients that can help you develop healthy skin and lower the risks of getting a skin condition. First of all, you need to ingest a lot of water and to eat fruits and vegetables.
Keep in mind to avoid mango or pineapples because they can develop a serious itching of the skin. Avoid fried and oily foods, eggs, fast food, and red meat. Knowing this, you can find a diet that suits you the best and we advise you to stick to it.
- Skin-care products
You need to keep moisturizing your skin every day and the best way to do it is to get a moisturizer and apply it at least twice per day. You can find a product that contains CeraVe, Vanicream or Eucerin.
- Anti-itch products
There are a lot of lotions and creams that can really help you prevent the itching. You can get hydrocortisone creams and you should apply them to the affected area in order to reduce or remove the itching.
There is another cream for itching skin known as an antihistamine.
- Do not scratch
Even though you feel good when you scratch the itching area, you need to avoid it. It can really irritate your skin even more. It is important to maintain a good size of your nails or simply put gloves overnight in order to reduce the scratching.
- Apply cold compress
You can really relieve the itching by applying an ice compress to the affected area.
- Cool bath
You can consider making a cool bath with colloidal oatmeal or baking soda. There are certain oatmeal products that can soothe your skin and stop the itching. After adding water to your bath, you can add a cup of oatmeal.
You should see improvements in a matter of days.
- Choose better quality clothes
You need smooth and soft surfaces that won’t cause any irritation or itching.
- Use mild soaps
Stay away from soaps that are made with perfumes or dyes in order to prevent an irritation or itching sensation.
- Use mild laundry detergent
You need to avoid detergents that are unscented. If the detergent is bad for your skin, it will attach on your clothes and will irritate your skin. Choose your detergent carefully and wash your clothes more than once in order to avoid it.
Medical treatment for itching skin without a rash
Keep in mind that you must see your doctor if the itching has lasted more than ten days without any positive development. Contact your doctor and explain where the itching occurs and how long it has been active. If there are any other symptoms or changes in your everyday life, you need to explain that to your doctor in order to help him choose the best treatment.
If there are symptoms like weight loss, lack of energy, fever or skin conditions, you might suffer from something more serious.
- Seek for medications – There are medications such as antihistamines that can lead to a relief of the inflammation.
- Discover the main reason and treat it – The doctor in charge will have to discover the main reason such as kidney disease or a thyroid When he acknowledges it, he will treat it directly and automatically, the itching will go away.
Light Therapy – in order to relieve the symptoms of itching, you will be put under phototherapy where your skin will be exposed to ultraviolet light wavelengths.